- adjectiveinadequate in number of workers or assistants etc.-
they're rather short-handed at the moment-
overcrowded and understaffed hospitals
* * *adjshorthanded, understaffed, with insufficient staff, below strength
* * *▶ adjective UNDERSTAFFED, short-handed, undermanned, below strength.
* * *short-staffedˈ adjectiveHaving a reduced or inadequate number of staff• • •Main Entry: ↑short
* * *without enough workers
We’re quite short-staffed at the moment.Thesaurus: words used to describe businesses and companieshyponym
* * *adj [more \short-staffed; most \short-staffed]: having fewer than the usual number of people available
The team/department is short-staffed. [=shorthanded]
a short-staffed hospital
* * *ˌshort-ˈstaffed [short-staffed] adjective not usually before nounhaving fewer members of staff than you need or usually haveSyn: ↑short-handed
We're short-staffed at the moment because a lot of people are off sick.see also ↑understaffed
Useful english dictionary. 2012.